CHARLESTON, SC – June 16, 2015 – The Winkler Group today released the full results of Giving USA 2015: The Annual Report on Philanthropy.
The total amount contributed to religious organizations reached its highest inflation – adjusted value ever: $114.9 billion — just above 2013’s $113.92 total.
The report shows that giving to religion increased 2.5 percent in current dollars.
Giving to religious organizations still tops all other subsectors. However, giving to religion (as a percentage of total giving) continues its 30-year decline. In 1985, it comprised 56 percent of total giving; last year, comprised only 33 percent.
Key considerations from Giving USA 2015:
- Americans gave a total of $358.38 billion in 2014, the highest total in Giving USA‘s 60-year history.
- Giving is up for the fifth straight year.
- Giving to all sectors except international affairs increased.
- Giving from individuals, corporations, foundations, and bequests all increased.
- Corporate giving, including grants from corporate foundations, was estimated to be only 0.7 percent of 2014 pre-tax corporate profits. This is the lowest percentage in the last 40 years.
Jennifer Richard, Winkler Group COO, and Jessica Browning, Vice President of Communications, served as contributing editors for the report. You can read more of their analysis here: Winkler Group Analysis